Thursday, September 15, 2011

HR 822

 At first blush, HR 822 sounds great - forcing states to recognize each other's concealed carry permits.  I'm a proud New Yorker, but I have no issue with CCW holders from other states packing heat in mine.  And I don't think I should become an instant criminal if I visit another state without first having gotten their nonresident permit.
 I'm not so sure that I like the idea of enacting a federal law that gives explicit permission for something already guaranteed in our Constitution.
 And what of Vermonters, whose state doesn't even issue optional permits, as Alaska, Wyoming and Arizona do?  They shouldn't be excluded from this regime (if enacted) simply for doing the right thing - following the Consitution - from the get-go.

No comments:

Post a Comment